As we move into the winter months, there’s nothing like holding a warm drink in your hands. However, sometimes I find the recipes I come across (or indulge in at coffee shops) are so full of sugar that I don’t even really enjoy them OR they taste good but leave me feeling gross afterwards. I love both indulging and creating little rituals that help me feel my best and this recipe for a healthy peppermint mocha checks both those boxes.
We have this Breville espresso machine, which is what I use. But you could just as easily use whatever you have access to, whether that’s a regular coffee maker or an espresso machine. I’ll include instructions for both ways. Oh, and this drink would be the perfect thing to sip while you finish out your holiday shopping! You can check out my gift guides here if you’re still looking for ideas.
Healthy Peppermint Mocha
- 1 cup oat milk (or any milk of your choosing!)
- 1-2 shots of espresso (or a 1/3 cup of coffee)
- 1/8 tsp of peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- Combine peppermint extract, cocoa and maple syrup in a mug. Stir gently.
- Pour shot of espresso (or coffee) into the cocoa mixture.
- In a milk frother or a small sauce pan, heat the milk until warm and frothy. If heating in a sauce pan, whisk while heating.
- Pour milk mixture into the mug, top with foam or whipped cream.