I can’t believe moving week is finally here! It’s been a long time coming but also feels like it snuck up on us. This is my first time packing up an entire house to move – I’ve always lived with roommates and had minimal furniture/stuff so this time around it’s a much bigger to-do. I popped a question box in my Instagram stories looking for moving tips & tricks and the responses were SO helpful. I had to share in case anyone else is moving in the near future and doesn’t know where to start.
- Lighten the load and sell anything you don’t love before you start packing
- Use cloth items such as towels to protect fragile items.
- Focus on one room at a time. Start with the rooms you use the least.
- When doing the kitchen, leave out one set of plates, forks, knives, etc. for each person to use and then hand wash them.
- Make certain boxes necessities: shower curtain, towels, sheets, etc. Things you’ll need in the first 24hrs.
- Start packing early!
- Clearly label what’s inside each box and which room it goes in.
- Label boxes on the side instead of the top. Makes it easier to see where to bring them when they’re stacked.
- Focus on downsizing and selling things on marketplace first to get rid of extra clutter.
- Buy coloured duct tape. Tape and number each box according to room.
- Purge, purge, purge and sell beforehand. Do not pack stuff you don’t want.
- Lots of Irish coffees.
- Buy packing paper so you don’t have to re-wash dishes. Newspaper leaves black marks.
- Pinterest moving hacks are a lifesaver!
- Hire movers if you can afford it.
- Get way more boxes than you think.
- Lots of wine!
- Start by packing fully the rooms you don’t use every day. Then use said rooms to store packed boxes.
Moving Tips for the Other Side
- Pack a box of “open first” items. Roll of paper towels, a couple bowls, shampoo, a hand towel, pair of scissors, etc. As you’re packing sets of things add one/two to this box.
- Colour code and use number boxes (kitchen – blue – 1) and keep a list of the contents. Easy to unload and helps make sure you got everything. Remember you can make a claim if you’re using a moving company so having a list like this is helpful!
- Pack a suitcase like you’re going on a trip with everything you might want for the first week. Less stress on the other end to unpack quickly.
- Try to use as many boxes as possible and not bags.
- Check local buy nothing groups if you have any for packing tape, extra boxes, etc.
- Use clothes/towels to cushion breakable so you buy less bubble wrap/wrapping paper.